Monday, June 20, 2011

High Water

Today was Day 1 of Pandamania!   Kids Camp (AKA VBS) at Faith Church started off with a bang.  As in lots of thunder and torrential rain that lasted for hours.  I must be exaggerating, right?


Nope.  Not exaggerating.  Our church is located right under the period of 6.25".  Our house is under the " of the same label.  Folks, that's a LOT of rain.  Now, I know it's June, but just for fun, I looked up a conversion of rain to snow.  If our temps were in the 20s, we'd have 5+ FEET of snow, just from this morning.  (Wouldn't that be fun?!)

Fortunately, I was at church super early to print name tags and get things set up.  So I missed the worst of it.  For many families, it took over an hour to get to church, when it would normally be 15 minutes.  Roads were closed due to high water.  The roads that WERE open were packed with people trying to get to work on a dreary Monday morning.  Ugh.

The registration tables for Pandamania were buzzing!  So many kids (162, to be exact, not counting babies) came through, some registering for the first time.  Yesterday I worked on registration stuff from 2 pm until 11 pm.  And when I went to bed, so much was flying through my brain, I wasn't able to fall asleep until after 1:30 am.  I was pretty stressed out this morning, not knowing if the labels I'd spent so much time on would actually print once I got to church.  And if they hadn't, what a mess we would have had!  So when everything went smoothly, I was extremely relieved.  The rest of the week will be a breeze in comparison with today (for me).  I still spent probably 2 hours working on stuff for tomorrow.  But each successive day SHOULD mean less work.  And you'd think I'd get faster at it too.

Our trip home from church was a bit interesting, since some of the roads we usually take were closed due to high water.  But we made it home in about 40 minutes.  Our house stayed dry, unlike many others in our city.  The yard, which already needed mowing badly, is now a swamp, and will have to wait even longer to get cut.  Sorry, anonymous neighbor.

(Thanks, Tina, for the graphic.)

3 comments:

  1. Ugh. Some of us actually pay attention to the radar and mow when we see rain approaching. Also, some of us mow our lawns at least twice daily just in case rain stops us from mowing later. Finally , some of us are on such intricate schedules when it comes to fertilizing/mowing/trimming/weeding that we know the exact minute of the exact day when the proper time to mow is, regardless of the weather. Please, for the sake of us and the rest of your neighbors, find a lawn program and stick with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your mindset of converting it to inches of snow! :) I do that too sometimes. I'm still hoping for a blizzard--annoyed that last year Chicago got it and we had 2 inches of ice instead. Maybe this winter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH and I meant to add, you did an awesome job being in charge of registration! It went really well, I enjoyed helping but I know you put in SO much work.

    ReplyDelete