Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Shame

Remember that post a couple of weeks ago about all the stuff we're planning to do outside?  Slowly and surely we're getting stuff done, but with Jonathan's schedule and my busyness with the kids, it's going a little slower than we'd like.  And a lot slower than our neighbors would like, apparently.

Last week, a note was left in our mailbox.  It was not signed, and was written in pen on a paper towel.  I wish I had kept it or taken a picture of it.  Basically it said something like this:  "Please trim your weeds and take care of the debris (actually, it said debree) on your driveway.  The neighborhood is disappointed in your lack of care for your property, and it is lowering OUR property values."  After reading the note, I felt a combination of embarrassment, shame, and anger.

I wish I could talk to this neighbor.  I wish I could explain to them that 1) my husband has worked 12 days in a row without a day off.  2) our weed-eater is broken.  3) the "debree" in our driveway was from the branches I'd cut off the pine tree last week.  unless they're referring to our woodpile?  4) we can't afford to hire a landscaping company to do our work.  I guess I should be glad that people (at least one of them) in our neighborhood really care about the neighborhood.  And I'm not sure what better way there would have been for them to approach us.  It has certainly made me more conscious of what others think about the exterior of the home.

Today I mowed the lawn.  Each time someone drove past, I wondered if it was the anonymous neighbor.  And I wondered if he was smugly satisfied to see me out there.  Now I have to go clean the spark plug in the weed-eater.

Edit:  I feel the need to add, after reading this again, that I don't think our yard looks bad.  Yes, there are areas that need work.  Like the stump that needs grinding.  And a few weeds here and there.  But it's certainly not overgrown, and we just painted our shutters!  With all the work we've put into this house, and our general upkeep, the note was unwarranted.

3 comments:

  1. ARGG! I HATE passive-aggressive people! Just be honest and have the guts to say it to me. Or realized things do get done eventually! Of course I worry about what the neighbors think too! The people across the street from us all have money and lawn services and I want to say to them the same thing--We have young kids and no money! Don't judge us! And there is so many more fun and interesting things to do (and spend money on) then our yard! I'm sorry you have that yucky feeling now. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ridiculous and completely unwarranted!

    ReplyDelete