Friday, May 27, 2011

Here Comes Summer!

At 11:40 this morning, Ethan will officially be a second grader!  And our summer will begin!  It's funny that today happens to be one of the coldest days we've had in recent weeks, though I checked the 10-day forecast and there's definitely summer weather coming.  In fact, on Monday, Memorial Day, we're predicted to hit 87!  And I say, bring it on!  I LOVE summer.  I'm so thrilled that today is the last day for a good chunk of time that my alarm will go off at 6:53.  I'm excited to think about doing fun things with the kids, like the library, parks, the zoo, and picnics.  I'm looking forward to camping and spending time with family at summer cottages.  The kids are excited about summer too.  At lunch yesterday, Ethan (who had a half day of school) said, "There are only three things I don't like about summer: mosquitoes, taking more naps, and picking up." 

Our summer is starting with a weekend visit from friends.  Orsi and Zoli are coming tonight and staying for a long weekend.  I met Orsi years ago when she was an exchange student, living with my parents (I no longer was).  Since then she got married, and she and Zoli left Hungary and moved to Wauseon, Ohio, where Orsi is working.  They are considered part of the family now.  So we are going to show them around Indianapolis.  And of course, what better weekend to be here than Memorial Day Weekend, AKA Race Weekend?!  No, we don't have tickets to see the Indianapolis 500.  But we will go to the 500 Festival Parade, which is a GREAT parade.  We're also thinking about the zoo, going for a bike ride, and on Monday, taking them to their first live baseball game (Indianapolis Indians).  Jonathan will take Monday off, and as he will have worked 12 days in a row (!!!) after today, he's definitely ready for some days off.  We all are. 

What are YOU doing this weekend?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds fun! We're having our small group over tomorrow for a cook-out (I'm praying our trend that started last summer, that every time we tried to have a cook out it rained, breaks but the weather isn't looking promising). Sunday will be time to rest and watch the NASCAR race day. Monday we're still working on plans. :)

    ReplyDelete